Announcing a new Facebook Group and the new Blog, Voices from the Class of '63

We have created a new Facebook Group called

The Childress (Texas) High School Classes of 1960-1966

Created for anyone from the Childress (Texas) High School classes of 1960-1966 who is looking to reconnect or connect with former friends and classmates.

If you are currently a member of Facebook or if you are planning to become a member of Facebook, we invite you to join the group. Contact either Nicki or Jennifer for information.

You are also invited to visit our new blog,

Voices From the Class of '63

Monday, March 10, 2008

Betty Smith Merritt

Most of you probably don't remember me, because I was the quite, shy one! HA! Those days are gone!! I outgrew the shyness and learned to be anything but quiet. I left Childress in November 1963 the day I married a guy in the Air Force, and haven't been back a lot. For 21 years, I lived in a military atmosphere and moved from one side of the world to the other a couple of times! After we were divorced in 1984, my 2 then teenaged daughters and I settled in Denver, CO and have been here ever since.My brother, Don Lewis, still lives in Vernon, TX so I'm there often and will actually be there in May. One of my nieces graduates from Baylor May 12th so I'm flying in for that then spending a week with Don and his wife, Jean, before I go on to Indiana to represent my company at a trade show.I've worked for Johns Manville many, many years now and just set a target date for retirement...1001 working days left to go!Would love to hear from everyone. Is there anyone else living in CO?


I got the information about the Reunion in Las Vegas and will have to let you know later whether or not I'll be there...I was a little disappointed at the location (not that it's not a great place to be for a weekend)but I'm afraid a lot of people won't come because of the expense. Hope I'm wrong. Anyway, will try to be better about checking in with you guys later. Thanks for the effort you're putting into organizing it.


Betty is a member of Classmates.com and she can be reached through that website.

4 comments:

Jennifer Johnston said...

Hi Betty. It's good to hear from you again ... and to have your update information ... after your first early appearance at the blog's inception. Of course I remember you ... we shared a few classes together.

As for the Las Vegas reunion, we do hope you'll come. As for the location, it was decided after a lot of discussion and thought. If you check the side strip on the Reunion blog, you'll find a list of names of those who have "signed on". It was the consensus at the time that no matter where the reunion was held, there would be some who would not be there. Indeed, I did hear from some who are coming to LV that they would NOT go to a reunion in Childress. So ... the decision was made ... and I think we're going to have a fabulous time.

I certainly hope we can add your name to the "strip" of attendees soon.

And ... if I recall correctly ... you mentioned in your initial blog contribution that you write inspirational poetry. We'd love it if you would share some with us....

)O(

Anonymous said...

Good to hear more from you, Betty. Don & I lived in Denver for 6 years when we first married. I LOVED it so much-----didn't want to move back to Texas. We moved to San Antonio and I said I would give it three years, then we were going back to Denver. Thirty years later we moved to Boerne----exactly 20 miles from our old driveway to our new---------so adventuresome!

Anonymous said...

Betty, Hey girl! It is so good to see your High school face again. I know that your grandma face is just as beautiful. Your profile sounds like you have had a fun life with many interesting interceptions...must be a Childress thing. I remember your brother, Don Lewis! Wasn't he a CHS graduate?
So...a trade show for Johns Mansville? That also sounds so exciting. I love trade shows, but have only done the Surf Expo in Fla and the Women's Apparel in LV...never anything in construction.
Anyway, I hope you can meet up with us in LV, if not, maybe at some other point!
Please Keep in touch.

Anonymous said...

Hey Betty! Thought I would never connect with you again. Remember good times at CHS but lost track of you several years after you married and I married. We are back in Waco(Woodway,TX) Would love to get together when you come to Waco on May 12th for Baylor Grad. My e-mail address is
pat-willard@sbcglobal.net
home tele. 254-772-7824
Again, if you have time when in town I would love to catch up on the last 40+ years.

Patsy Poling Sledge