Announcing a new Facebook Group and the new Blog, Voices from the Class of '63

We have created a new Facebook Group called

The Childress (Texas) High School Classes of 1960-1966

Created for anyone from the Childress (Texas) High School classes of 1960-1966 who is looking to reconnect or connect with former friends and classmates.

If you are currently a member of Facebook or if you are planning to become a member of Facebook, we invite you to join the group. Contact either Nicki or Jennifer for information.

You are also invited to visit our new blog,

Voices From the Class of '63

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Sheila Davis Martinez

At some point in January 1963, a gypsy drifted through town and sprinkled wanderlust dust into the air. I took a deep breath and was hooked! I couldn't get out of Childress fast enough. Of course, I graduated, but showing up for the ceremony took a lot of curiosity...was I really going to graduate?? Mentally, I was gone from my life in Childress months before we graduated.

That summer, I went to school at Amarillo Jr College, then came back home for a few days before heading out to fulfill my dream of becoming a doctor at the University of Texas in Austin. There were probably a thousand schools that would have been a better pick for me, but my heart was set on UT ever since the 3rd grade when I heard Jimmy Wilcoxson talking about their great football team. Like a football team was going to make or break me! LOL! Jimmy, this is all your fault! I thought he was the smartest boy in school until I realized it was really JoeDon.

I wish I could say that I went to school, made good grades, graduated and went to Medical school. The real story is that I went to UT, got real stupid, got pregnant, then got married.

Life has a way of kicking you in the butt to get your attention. The marriage lasted long enough for me to have 2 children to raise. Barry and his family have been a strong part of my life and I am eternally grateful for their open arms and generosity. Sandra and Robin came from that marriage.

Before we divorced in 69, Barry and I moved to San Antonio which is where I met Webb Wilcox a couple of years later. The kids and I moved to Port Aransas to run a hotel on the beach in the summer of 72. Webb followed, asking me to marry him. We married in 73.

Good times. We lived on the beach for several years, then eventually put our shoes back on and moved back to civilization. I have to tell you, it was hard to learn to wear shoes again. I loved living on the beach.

While Webb and I were trying to raise my two older children to be decent citizens, we started with our second family...Jessica, Ben and Kayte....all born within 2 years of each other. Talk about insanity! LOL...It has been a fun ride and I wouldn't trade one second of it for any other choice that I might have had.

Webb and I divorced after 15 years of marital bliss. Since then, I have lived in Wimberley, TX, San Marcos TX and Austin..with a very brief stint in Dallas working for a fashion designer. At some point in this time frame, I went back to school to study fashion design/entreprenurial business management. One year and I was done with school...forever. Not done with learning, but done with that mode of education.

I would like to say that I own my own business, but to be honest, it owns me. For the last 10 years I have worked as a seamstress/fashion designer doing bridal designs and alterations, exotic dancewear, costuming, anything I could draw, cut and get under that sewing machine needle. Since I have a difficulty with idle time, I generally pair my sewing business with other types of income. I have been a barmaid, bartender, house mom for strip clubs, lingerie retail, and the school district lets me drive a school bus! Whoa..what is up with that!!?

Right now, I am delivering pizza...fun job, working in a boutique in one of the clubs, and also driving a school bus for Lake Travis ISD. I also have a little business making/selling soaps, lotions and candles.

My wonderful children are Sandra Foglia who lives in San Marcos with her 3 boys, Andrew, Luke and Francis, ages 11, 16, 20. Sandra works for Texas State University in the Dance Department. All of the boys are in school. Andrew at TX STate, Luke is in HS and Fran in in MS.

Robin Knight lives in Phoenix, is married to Lili. Robin is in his last 5 months of Internal Medicine/Pediatrics residency. Lili is a med transcriptionist. They do lots of things like marathons, Boston Terrier rescue shelter adoptive parents, and are trying to adopt a child from China.

Jessica Wilcox has 2 boys, Caleb 12, Aaron 4, lives out here in Lakeway. She is in her last rotation of nursing school. She is a great kid.

Ben lives out here in Lakeway, too. He works as a cook for one of the Irish Sport Pubs in town.

Kayte, my youngest is in school at Texas State studying nutrition. She worked for Continental Airlines as a flight attendant before 9-11, then decided that college was a better path.

Well, that's all folks. Some more of the good, bad and not so ugly. For the record, I love Childress and am very thankful that it was my home for so many years. Great place to learn about life. Great friends.

5 comments:

Nicki Wilcoxson said...

What an interesting life you have led and continue to lead! You make our (Jim and I)life seem extremely boring. I really enjoyed reading what you shared with us. I have to tell you that I absolutely love Austin. I have been fortunate over the years to be able to spend time there two or three times a year and I find so much to enjoy. I love the shopping and the restaurants; I love the atmosphere of a universtiy town; I love the "weirdness" of Austin, and I love the setting of Austin with the hills and river. The downside as I am sure you are well aware is the traffic and rapid expansion of the city itself. I have come to know Austin very well, but now everytime we go, I have to relearn my routes and remember to avoid extreme rush hours. A friend and I agree that Austin is more than a city; it is a way of life. Even though everything didn't work out as you had dreamed, I guess the upside of going to UT (thanks to Jim!)is that you got to Austin. Your family sounds wonderful. I can't imagine having 5 children, but they and your grandchildren are obviously a blessing to you. I really look forward to hearing more. Your business and jobs must have provided you with lots of entertaining stories!

Jennifer Johnston said...

Sheila, getting back in touch with you in 2001 was one of the happiest "reconnections" I have had with former class members. I always liked you so much when we were in high school, and I had regretted many times over the years that we had not remained in touch.

Yahn and I fairly flew to Wimberley from Houston after we restablished communication, and we spent a wonderful weekend with you (including a couple of really late nights) getting caught up. Then, just a bit after that, I came to Wimberley with Mike and Ada ... and that visit was the genesis of the "Wimberley Weekend" which led to reconnection with Joe Don and Clara and Jeff Jeffers and Jim Sr. ... and John Danner, by REALLY loooong-distance phone. And the "connections" just keep getting better....

Yahn and I both look forward to seeing you at the reunion ... you are definitely one of our dearest and best....

)O(

Anonymous said...

You never told me about living on the beach! Leaving it must have been hard.

You are one busy lady. I can't imagine you ever propping up your feet and relaxing. I hope you find the time to do that in your treehouse. You deserve it, and various medals for raising 5 great kids.

Anonymous said...

Sheila - Really enjoyed your show and tell. Having you stay the weekend at my house in Childress was a real pleasure. Although I haven't seen you since, we've reconnected via email and I feel good about having you back in my life.

Lynn

Anonymous said...

Nicki, I KNOW you have been to Austin when you speak of it's "Weirdness". I have no idea where that came from, except from Maybe, Mayor Gus Garcia. "Keep Austin Weird" LOL. Gotta love it! I also do not know why we are known as the Music Capital of the World, except for the fact that Austin is one incredible music scene.
I live way out here in Lakeway which is South and west of town. Right now Austin is growing so fast in so many directions that I don't know if I am North or South...I do know that I am West and NOT East.
RR 620, which runs by Lake Travis, reminds me of the Pacific Coast Highway in CA. Come visit. I would love to see you...and you are right about one thing. My children and my wonderful grandchildren are the blessings of my life's work.

Jennifer, Thanks for your comments. That weekend in Wimberley was amazing. It was great to see you again and to finally meet fine Mr. Yahn. You did a great job in the planning part of our mini-reunion. If that is any indication, the reunion in Vegas will be marvelous.

Clara, sorry I didn't tell you about the beach part of my life. I do believe that you know everything else! LOL...Thank you for always being such a good listener and friend. As for putting my feet up and resting, I will rest when I get old...how about that? Right now, there is too much to do and too little time.
You and Don are the ones who are busy and always doing wonderful things. It's a great life.

Lynn, thank for for having me as a guest in your home. Believe me, it was all my pleasure. You and Jennifer made that be a wonderful weekend for me. I reqret that it was under such sad circumstances.
I must tell you that I admire you and your courage with all the things that you have faced, endured, and conquered. You are one remarkable and brave lady.